If you are looking for some tips regarding streaming MKV files to Chromecast via Plex Media Server, you're in the right place. Just read on.
Although MKV is included in the supported lists by many media streaming devices such as Roku, Chromecast, PS4, WD TV, etc. Those media servers may have the ability to handle MKV files encoded with some common video or audio codec like H.264 video codec or aac audio codec. However, if your MKV files contain some incompatible codec like H.265 video codec or ac3/dts audio codec, you will fail to stream them to your TV. Although the Plex Media Server has the capability to transcode some H.265 codec for you, however, it will require immense processing power to handle the H.265/HEVC codec.
To get rid of the issue, the best way is transcoding MKV files to Chromecast best compatible file formats as below before performing the video streaming process via Plex.
- MP4 file encoded with H.264 High Profile Level 4.1 video codec and MP3/AAC audio codec
- Webm video encoded with VP8 video codec and Vorbis audio codec.
Here Brorsoft Video Converter comes out to help you achieve the goal. The program can comprehensively not only H.265 MKV but also other incompatible file formats such as FLV, AVCHD, MXF, Tivo, VOB, etc to Chromecast best favorable video and audio codec. For Mac users, please turn to Video Converter for Mac.
Transcode MKV for Streaming to Chromecast via Plex Media Server
Step 1: Load MKV files to the program
Launch the application on your computer, click Add button to load MKV files to the program.
Step 2: Choose Chromecast supported file format
Click "Format" bar, from its drop-down options, choose to output Chromecast supported file format by following Common Video > H.264 High Profile Video(*.mp4).
Tip: Click "Settings" to open parameter settings window. Under"Audio" section, click "codec" drop-down list, select aac or mp3 as the proper audio codec for Chromecast.
Step 3: Start MKV to Chromecast conversion
Go back to the main interface, hit right-bottom "Convert" button to begin the conversion from MKV to Chromecast supported video/audio codec conversion process.
When the conversion is completed, add converted movies to Plex, then go with the following steps to cast video to Chromecast via Plex:
1. Launch the Chrome browser
2. Install the Google Cast extension in Chrome.
3. Open Plex Web App.
4. Click on the Plex Players icon on at the top right.
5. You'll see the Google Cast extension window open with a list of the detected Plex Apps that are available. You should see the Chromecast available in the list. Select the Chromecast. This will set the Chromecast as the device on which you want content played.
6. With the Chromecast selected, you can use the interface as normal. When you choose to play something, it will play on the Chromecast instead of in the browser window. As you browse content in the browser, details about that content will be mirrored and displayed on Chromecast for everyone to see.
How to play MKV files via Plex
Playing MKV files on LG TV
How to Play MKV on Xbox One Easily
VLC not playing MKV videos in OS X Yosemite- Fixed