The Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 won't import XAVC S files from Sony a7S smoothly. The easy workaround is to transcode Sony XAVC S to a more "edit" friendly codec for Adobe CS6. Here is how.
Sony a7S is a new 12MP full-frame mirrorless camera designed for both stills and video. The camera promises higher quality for the 1080p video (at up to 60p) it can record internally. Unlike the a7 and a7R, the latest model is not constrained by the AVCHD standard, also offering the XAVC S system, with bitrates of up to 50Mbps. While, the point is here how we can import Sony a7S XAVC S to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for editing.
Go through the Adobe forum, I got know Adobe is not in the habit of announcing new features much in advance of the actual release. That means if you directly import XAVC S files from Sony a7S to Adobe PP CS6, you will encounter the incompatible video, audio codec issues. To get those XAVC S files to Adobe easily, a good way is to convert Sony XAVC S to Adobe Premiere Pro edit-friendly format like MPEG-2.
Now I share the guide with you how to convert XAVC S footage to Premiere Pro friendly format using Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac. With it, you can effortlessly encode/re-encode XAVC S intra footage shot from Sony a7S, AX1, AX100, for smoothly importing and editing in various non-linear editing systems (NLE), including Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Avid Media Composer and more. If you're using a Windows, please turn to its equivalent Windows version –XAVC S Converter, which can help you solve the XAVC S incompatibility issues on Windows(8).
Convert/Import Sony a7S XAVC S files to Premiere Pro files
1. Download, install and run the XAVC S to Premiere Pro Converter; click "Add Videos" icon to load your source XAVC S videos from Sony a7S.
2. Click “Format” pull down list to select Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas> MPEG-2(*.mpg) as the best video format for Premiere Pro. WMV, MOV formats are the good choice as well.
Tip - Profile Settings:
In case the default settings do not fit your requirement, you can click “Settings” button and enter “Profile Settings” panel to adjust video size, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels.
3. Click “Convert” button to start encoding Sony XAVC S video to MPG for importing to Premiere Pro CS6. When the conversion task is finished, click “Open” button to get the exported files and then import the converted Sony a7S files into Adobe Premiere Pro to do further editing.
1. This XAVC S Video Converter Mac can also help you to transcode Sony XAVC, XAVC S to FCP, iMovie, FCE, Avid Media Composer with the optimal presets ProRes, Apple InterMediate Codec, DNxHD. Just select a proper format in the 2nd step.
2. Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac is an all-in-one video converter, player and editor. Besides XAVC, XAVC S videos, it also supports converting AVCHD .MTS, (GoPro)MP4, (Canon/Nikon) MOV, (P2)MXF camcorder videos as well as all the common videos including AVI, WMV, FLV, VOB, TiVo, MPG, etc. If you shot standard AVCHD or MP4 videos with Sony a7S and meet some incompatible issues while importing and editing, this video app can also help you out.
3. AVCHD video codec versus new Sony XAVC S codec
AVCHD codec is not good for any size sensor. From this point out, Sony will be using XAVC S codec even in these higher end consumer-class models, with XAVC S codec being many, many times superior in all aspects to the old, notorious, universally disliked AVCHD. Sony will release more cameras that will use the XAVC S codec, not AVCHD. For video, that will be the one to get in my view.