Looking for a way to import MOV to After Effects for editing? This article offers you a simple method to get AE support MOV files, so you can import and edit MOV files in After Effects without any issue.
Solution 1: Try setting your default player for .mov files to QuickTime. (Mine was set to Windows Media Player)
- Right click on one of the .mov files you are having a problem opening in AE.
- Select the "Open with" and select "Choose default program..." at the bottom.
- Select Quick Time. (Make sure the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box is checked.)
- Reboot your computer.
- Open AE and see if it works.
I’ve tried these tricks, it didn’t work me. Anyway, I received no luck importing MOV to AE.
Solution 2: As some guys mentioned in Adobe forum, .MOV is just a container, like AVI. There are, literally, zillions of different codecs that it could be. You probably just don't have the codec on your machine with which that particular .MOV file is encoded. A quick fix is to convert MOV to After Effects compatible file type like MPEG-2, which will save us both time and trouble, then all we need is to drag the result videos for prompt editing.
I've tried the solution, it works perfectly for me. Below is the detailed instruction.
Download and use Brorsoft Video Converter, which is able to resolve your trouble effortlessly. This video app can help you convert MOV into a different format (e.g. .mpg, .wmv) with least quality loss. You should then be able to import the new file into After Effects with smooth editing without any trouble. With it, you can also effortlessly transcode MOV to MPG for Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas, DNxHD for Avid MC, WMV for Windows Movie Maker, etc. If you're using a Mac, simply get the equivalent Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac to encode MOV to After Effects on Mac OS X(El Capitan, Yosemite). Here is guide for converting MOV for using in AE.
How to Convert MOV to After Effects editable format
1. Download, install and run the MOV file converter; click "Add Videos" icon to load your source .mov videos.
2. Click “Format” bar and choose "Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas > MPEG-2 (*.mpg)” as output format on the drop-down menu. Of course, you can also choose AVI, MP4 from “Common Video” as the output format.
3. Click “Settings” button if you’d like to customize advanced audio and video parameters like Video Codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, Audio codec, sample rate, audio channels.
4. Click the convert button under the preview window, the MOV to After Effects Converter will start encoding MOV for importing to After Effects. Soon after the conversion is finished, just click "Open" button to get the generated files for edit in After Effects CS4/CS5/CS6/CC perfectly.
Import MOV files to Pinnacle Studio
How to Edit MOV File in PowerDirector 13/12/11/10