Wanna add subtitles to MP4 files no matter your own recordings or a foreign movie you downloaded? Find out the best and hassle-free solution from this article.
Have collected some MP4 videos(in a foreign language), but find it’s hard to understand? In order to easily playing your MP4 movies, you may need to add subtitles to your MP4 files for better enjoyment. If it's the case, then you're right being here. In this article, we'll show you a free way to add subtitles to MP4 at ease.
A. One easy and free method is to insert subtitles to MP4 with Handbrake
1. You need to find your language subtitle from website.
2. Attaching Subtitles to Movie by Handbrake
Using a common media player like Quicktime or VLC to play the movie, you can also display subtitles simply by putting the subtitle file in the same folder. The only requirement is that both the movie and the subtitle files should go under the same name but with different extensions. Something like "title.mp4" and "title.srt".
3. Open Handbrake and choose the source.
4. Open the Subtitles tab and click "Add external SRT" button.
(See notes 1 below)
B. The second method is to find an easy-to-use yet professional video subtitles adding software, which can enable us to attach subtitles to MP4 easily and quickly. Brorsoft Video Converter Ultimate seems to be the best one.
Overall, it is a powerful all-in-all video tool, which can both convert videos in all popular formats and customize subtitles for your movies. With it, you can add and load external subtitles(*.srt and *.ass, *.ssa) to MP4 effortlessly. It can not only attach subtitles to MP4, but also supports many other video formats, like AVI, MKV, WMV, etc. What's more, it also helps you to set the subtitle size, subtitle style, etc according to your preference. Besides adding subtitle files to your video, it is an all-in-one program with many other functions, which enables you to edit videos, convert video, rip Blu-ray/DVD with ease.
1. Open the converter, you can directly drag the target videos to the program or click "File" to add the MP4 videos. Make sure the subtitle and the video have the same name and they are kept in the same file.
2. Click on "Edit" button and tap "Subtitle" option to check the "Enable" icon. Then, by clicking on "Browse" to import your *.srt, *.ass, *.ssa subtitle file you've downloaded. Click OK to save the settings.
3. Then click Convert to start adding subtitles to MP4.
1. In our tests on inserting subtitles to some downloaded movies using Handbrake on Mac, but not having much success. When tired to embed .srt subtitles to an .mp4 file that we have already converted in Handbrake, Handbrake immediately thinks it has already converted the movie and hence does not add subtitles. Since Handbrake can't add subtitles to MP4 successfully all the time, you can get the Ultimate Subtitle to MP4 Converter to get the work done.
2. If you also wanna convert your source videos to kinds of other formats like WMV, MOV, AVI, FLV, MPG, M4V, 3GP… while adding subtitles to MP4, the second solution will be a better choice, as it can encode videos to more formats than Handbrake does.
How to Add Subtitles to AVI Effortlessly