Read this guide to learn how to convert and transcode MXF file to MPEG-2 video for further editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4/CS5/CS6/CC without hassle.
I'm using a canon XF100 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 on a Mac Pro. I would like to know the best workflow so I can get MXF footage into Premiere Pro and start editing. My attempts so far:
1. Importing the MXF file directly into Premiere Pro:
Result: When dropping the clip onto the timeline, only the audio appears.
2. Using XCam Transfer to import the footage
Result: The audio and video appear on the time line, but the audio is shorter than the video and skips and jumps.
What I eagerly want to is how can I import MXF to Adobe Premiere Pro smoothly? So I have scoured the internet, tried everything I could find, and now I have a decent solution- convert MXF to MPEG-2 for Premiere Pro.
As a "container" or "wrapper" format which supports a number of different streams of coded "essence", MXF is a file format for the exchange of program material between servers, tape streamers and to digital archives, mainly used in the chain of media production, editing, distribution and storage. While, a bit frustrating, the MXF files are not well supported by Premiere Pro, as you may encounter many audio and video problems. And I know that Premiere Pro can render to the part of MXF format, but it can’t handle raw MXF files. The best way is to convert MXF videos to Premiere Pro CS4/CS5/CS6/CC compatible format, like MPEG-2, MOV (AVC) with Brorsoft MXF Converter for Mac, a professional Mac MXF to Premiere Pro Converter tool.
Overall it is a best Mac MXF Converter. With it, you can effortlessly encode/re-encode .MXF files for smoothly importing and editing in various non-linear editing systems (NLE), including Adobe Premiere Pro as well as Final Cut Pro X, FCP 6/7, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Avid Media Composer, etc. If you're using a Windows PC, please turn to its equivalent Windows version- Brorsoft MXF Converter, which can help you solve the MXF to Premiere Pro, Avid MC, Windows Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio incompatibility issues on Windows XP/7/8.
Convert MXF to MPEG-2 for Premiere Pro editing losslessly
1. Download, install and run the MXF to MPEG-2 Converter; click "Add Videos" icon to load your source MXF videos from Panasonic DVCPRO P2, Sony's XDCAM, or Canon XF.
2. Click “Format” bar and choose Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas —> MPEG-2(*.mpg) as target format.
Tips: In case the default settings do not fit your requirement, you can click "Settings" button and enter "Profile Settings" panel to adjust video size, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels.
3. Click Convert button to start transcoding MXF to MPEG-2 for Adobe Premiere Pro on Mac OS X.
Once the conversion completes, you can click "Open" to find the .MPG videos which can be directly imported to Premiere Pro CS4/CS5/CS6/CC. You've done.
1. While importing MXF clips into the program for conversion, please make sure you have the entire MXF file structure as it saved on your camcorder (like a P2 Card). If you only have some loose .MXF clips, you files will have image only without audio. Brorsoft MXF Converter is able to recognize audio tracks from 'AUDIO' folder automatically, which ensures the generated files have both image and sound correctly.
2. This MXF to Premiere Pro converter also allows you to edit your MXF material. Click Edit button and you can trim, crop, set watermark, add subtitles as you need.